Saturday, 12 August 2017

I'm A Jobless Student Again

Hey!
On the 2nd of August I quit my job working in a cafe and I feel 100% better about it. It may seem weird but that job was dragging me down and making me into this unhappy and miserable person. Everything suffered, my blog, my happiness, my hobbies and I always felt anxious. I only had this job for 4 months which isn't a whole pile of time but it felt like years. I thought I would share the reasons behind quitting my jobs and the few reasons I stuck it out for so long.

Crappy wages and crappy hours
As an 18-year old, I was only €6.50 an hour which is an under-age wage which McDonalds don't even give their same aged employees. I wasn't getting many hours either, during the June and July I was getting around 0-2 days a week and the earliest I would start was 11am and I would finish at 6pm or whenever we finished cleaning up.

An even crappier boss
At first I thought she was just hard on me because I was new, and she wanted to push me to preform at my best but really she was just a bully picking at stupid things like not washing or cleaning things fast enough even though there was plenty of delft that was ready to be used. If she asked you to do something she would never call your name or even look at you which personally I thought I wasn't being spoken to. She also never learned my name even though there were 2 other Róisíns, both who left, working there. I would check the roster and check if she was working the days I was and if she was I just hoped she went home early, or she would be in a good mood, that rarely happened. She hated me and I always got the sense from her that she thought I did things to annoy her but that was never the case.

Not finishing at a specific time
I never knew what time I would be finished at due to tidying up at the end of the day takes a different amount of time due to the amount of staff present and when the last customer was served. I could be finished at 6pm or one time we didn't get out the door until 7:45pm.

Feeling stupid, useless and unhappy
I felt like I was a dysfunctional robot as I kept doing things wrong but I was never shown how to do it right. Nevertheless, I still got in trouble. I felt like crying most days as I normally try to do my best but that was never good enough. I have smiled more the past week and a half than I have the past 4 months.

No training or shown how to do things
This stems from the last reason but I never got trained or shown how to do things. On the first day I was thrown a dish cloth and told to start drying stuff and put them back in their place. I didn't know where anything went, so I put some things in wrong places by accident.

I stopped doing things I loved
I lost interest in blogging but I ploughed through as I presumed it was just a little writers block. I haven't picked up my guitar or ukulele since around 2 months ago. I haven't done anything really musically. I lost interest in my YouTube channel. I didn't want to read and I would prefer to watch Netflix as I could escape from my head without thinking too much.

I felt anxious a lot
I get anxious, that's just who I am but I was getting anxious over stupid little things that I never did before. I was anxious going to work, thinking about work, waiting for the roster to go up, it never ended.

The reasons I stayed for so long are pretty few, the money and the girls I worked with. It was nice having that money going into my account each week that I could spend on whatever I wanted. I could pay for Netflix (I'm still going to keep it) and if I saw something in the shops I could buy it without worrying about if I'll have enough money to do something else. The girls I worked with were lovely, they were friendly, great to chat with and always helped you out if needed. There was one girl who always cheered me up when I was feeling down and I am going to miss her a lot.

There were too many reasons to quit and with a meltdown during having dinner with my family I realised I needed to get out of this quick and I did and I am happy.

I know this is a little more serious that I usually write but I wanted to share my experience. If you are dealing with something similar please try to get out of it or talk to someone. Nobody needs to be this unhappy. I will always respond if you contact me.

Thanks for being awesome,


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you really made a right choice when it comes to quitting that job.. So sad you've had to go through such a bad work experience in such young age. But stay strong girl, you already made the first step by quitting that horrible job, so something better is already coming at ya <3 Have a great and positive day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Essi! I am so glad I quit but I feel this experience will make me stronger in the future

      Delete
  2. Honestly, it's better that you made the right choice of quitting. So many people are stuck in jobs that they don't like. There will be so many opportunities for you to make money (maybe even by blogging!), so it's good you'll get back into doing things you like.

    www.thisfashiongirl.com/ Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Christina! I am so glad I have more time for blogging and YouTube now, they are two things I love.

      Delete